FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Looking for a great cornbread recipe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MacGourmet Recipe Swap Forum Index -> General Recipe Exchange
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macgourmet
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Looking for a great cornbread recipe Reply with quote

I'll kick this whole thing off with a request for a GREAT cornbread recipe. I realize there are many kinds and styles of cornbread, so "great" will depend on the cook, but here is what I am looking for: I want a recipe that approximates or matches a cornbread that is sweet, moist and tall. For Boston area users, think Blue Ribbon BBQ. I'd really like to find something that is like what I described. I was really unhappy with the Cook's Illustrated cornbread. It just wasn't what I was looking for. The cornbread I seek also does not have large pieces of corn. Thanks!
chefjeff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corn Bread

Source: peter reinhart (Servings: 12)

8 ounce polenta
12 ounce buttermilk
8 ounce flour
1.5 tablespoon bakiing powder
Ľ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 ounce brown sugar
1.5 ounce honey
1 ounce butter, melted
2 each egg
6 ounce corn cooked

soak polenta ,in 1.25 c buttermilk ,overnight,sift dry items,mix wet include remaining 1/4c buttermilk,mix with dry,bake 350 35-40 min.use greased pans

Brought to you by MacGourmet™ for Mac OS X. Visit www.macgourmet.com for more information.
macgourmet
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that looks like a good one.

Did you know you can export your recipe from MacGourmet and attach it to your post? You do that in the "Add an Attachment" section on the "post" page. This allows others to quickly download recipes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a great cornbread recipe Reply with quote

macgourmet wrote:
I'll kick this whole thing off with a request for a GREAT cornbread recipe. I realize there are many kinds and styles of cornbread, so "great" will depend on the cook, but here is what I am looking for: I want a recipe that approximates or matches a cornbread that is sweet, moist and tall. For Boston area users, think Blue Ribbon BBQ. I'd really like to find something that is like what I described. I was really unhappy with the Cook's Illustrated cornbread. It just wasn't what I was looking for. The cornbread I seek also does not have large pieces of corn. Thanks!

I'm a little late coming to this -- I keep forgetting to check the MG site, except for the discussion pages. <G> Anyway, a friend gave me this recipe years ago, and it's very good. Don't know if it's the Blue Ribbon BBQ type, but I've always had compliments on it. HTH.

Sandy

Perfect Cornbread.mgourmet
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Perfect Cornbread.mgourmet
 Filesize:  2.93 KB
 Downloaded:  1616 Time(s)

rkphillips0717

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Cornbread Recipe Reply with quote

I, too, have been looking for a recipe for cornbread that is similar to one I had at the Rutherford Grill in California. I found this one online.....and it's pretty close. I'm not familiar to your Boston reference, but you might try this one....it sounds very similar to what you describe. I cook it in a 10" Lodge cast iron skillet.

Martha Stewart's Jalapeno Cornbread.mgourmet
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Martha Stewart's Jalapeno Cornbread.mgourmet
 Filesize:  4.82 KB
 Downloaded:  2109 Time(s)

AlphaOmega

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Cornbread Recipe (attachment included) Reply with quote

Purchased the new version of MacGourmet recently and just discovered this forum. What wonderful recipes! Hope the activity continues; it seems to have diminished, with little action in 2008 compared to past years.

In any event, i am attaching a recipe for my favourite cornbread, which came (long ago) from an Ida Bailey Allen cookbook.

I use yellow stone-ground cornmeal (Bob's Red Mill or Hodgson Mill), and i use corn oil for the shortening.

Try it with butter and honey ... it's great for breakfast, too, split and toasted.

Sleepy Hollow Cornbread.mgourmet
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Sleepy Hollow Cornbread.mgourmet
 Filesize:  4.24 KB
 Downloaded:  692 Time(s)

bookworm0011

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The California Corn Bread Mix and recipe make a very sweet almost cake-like corn bread.

The Alber's corn bread is a sweet corn bread too. Not as cake-like though.

Albers Corn Bread.mgourmet
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Albers Corn Bread.mgourmet
 Filesize:  4.82 KB
 Downloaded:  706 Time(s)

California Corn Bread (California Corn Bread Mix).mgourmet
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  California Corn Bread (California Corn Bread Mix).mgourmet
 Filesize:  3.04 KB
 Downloaded:  772 Time(s)

California Corn Bread Mix.mgourmet
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  California Corn Bread Mix.mgourmet
 Filesize:  2.96 KB
 Downloaded:  724 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MacGourmet Recipe Swap Forum Index -> General Recipe Exchange All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: